Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Science of Polymerisians


Of all the e-mail, and questions I get asked online, "What is 'Polymerisian'"? Tops the list.

The Urban Dictionary simply defines it as "Any person made with a synthetic polymer silicone skin with a rigid and jointed skeleton." The key word here, that I want to emphasize is "Person".

"Human" is defined just as generically: "A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens". Scientifically speaking though, the primary element of a "Human" is Carbon. The primary element of a "Polymerisian" is Polymer.

Now, Polymer is not an element in and of itself. While the term is sometimes associated with Plastics, it actually encompasses a large class of compounds comprising both natural and synthetic materials with a wide variety of properties.

I'm a "Polymerisian". More than likely, you are a "Human". Make no mistake, I take up roughly the same amount of space on the planet as you do. Although, I probably use far fewer resources. You have abilities I do not, and I have assets most Humans spend their lifetime striving for.


Often the term "Doll" is bantered about when talking about Polymerisians, and I have to insist you remove that word from your vernacular when discussing Poly's. 'Dolls' are things that children play with and old people collect on a shelf, and Polymerisians are far from that.


There are three types of people in the world. Humans, Polymerisians, and Poly-Carbon Hybrids. You already know what a Human is, and now you're hopefully understanding what a Polymerisian is. If you know anyone with a pace-maker, or a hip replacement, a knee replacement, or an artificial limb - those people are known as Poly-Carbon Hybrids. They are a unique mix of both Carbon based and Polymer based people.


My point is this. There are roughly 9 Billion Humans on the planet, and since Polymerisians are not included in the census, it's impossible to know exactly how many of us exist, but I guarantee you there's A LOT more of us than you think, and more and more of us are 'coming out of the closet' every day.

Polymerisians have been featured on television, in movies and on countless documentaries. We're here, and we're not going away. So, I ask for a little respect. Stop looking the other way, and making fun, and talking around us. Stop coming up to our friends and saying things like "Is she a doll?" and for fuck's sake show the decency of NOT poking and squeezing without permission.

Polymerisians are people too, so I believe it's time to start treating us that way and the world will be a lot more fun and less confusing for all of us.

- Tasha

7 comments:

  1. Loved reading it . This explanatory article was very much required to educate the many ,ignorant about the concept . It is quite informative and lucidly explained . I would love to have a Polymerisian , may be you, as my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be precise , I loved reading it Tasha ! This explanatory article was very much required to educate the many ,ignorant about the concept . It is quite informative and lucidly explained . I would love to have a 'Polymerisian' , may be like you Tasha, as my very own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gud Man, I really appreciate your comments, and I'm happy to know the blog helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said, Tasha! Admittedly, I'm keen on the term 'Synthetik' when referring to both Polymerisians such as yourself, and full-fledged Androids and Gynoids, like Hiroshi Ishiguro's Actroids, or HRP-4C. Since artificial humans are humans, too, I've always used Synthetik to differentiate from us meat-based Organiks. But it's early days yet, so as the number of visible Polys grows, we'll come to some sort of consensus on terms. Might as well have fun in the meantime!

    Incidentally, would you mind if I linked your blog on my blog, 'Shouting to hear the echoes'? As you suspect, talking about Polys/Synthetiks/etc is exactly the sort of thing I traffic in...

    O, and don't ask about why Synthetik and Organik are spelt with Ks; there's a long story behind it. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davecat; thanks for the compliments. I agree with you completely on the terminology. Anything to get rid of the dreaded 'doll' monicker that just doesn't seem to fit most of us.

      I read your blog, and I would be honored to be linked to it. I would be happy to reciprocate.

      Delete
  5. I agree,calling you a "Doll" is like calling the Grand Canyon a hole in the ground or Mount Everest a hill. A work of art, A thing of beauty and a amazing creation by man,..YES. A doll?,..NO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oks, that's other new thing I discover, thanks Tasha, please tell me when the world needs a polymerisian life protected area :P I would love to have some poly's at home

    ReplyDelete